Sunday, February 19, 2012

OK I Want an IP Camera- How do I get one ON A BUDGET.



You can get some great deals on IP Cameras, if you're willing to (a) take some changes, (b) live with poor or no customer service, (c) get used gear, (d) possibly have to return for a , and replacement, and (e) live without leading-edge features.

Having said all that, here is my my personal strategy. Personalize this for your own use!
  1. Go to AMAZON.COM . Search for IP CAMERA
  2. sort by price, lowest first.  Start drilling down on some of the more attractively-priced options
  3.  look at the 1-off sellers, that is, Amazon sellers who sell on Amazon, but are not Amazon proper.
  4. Check their feedback, and even send them a message (to see how quickly and comprehensively they reply)
  5. When you're confident you found a bargain, and you trust the seller and his feedback, order a camera
  6.  When you get the camera, inventory and test it quickly. If there is a problem, message the seller quickly. It may not be an issue if software is missing - check the manufacturer's site for downloads.
As I check today, I see most indoor PTZ IP Cameras are in the $100 or so price-range, yet using these steps, I see some under $50, NEW! That's a nice savings.

And if you're an Amazon Prime member, you may get even more discounts.



In contrast, I checked EBAY and although I found many options, I found higher prices, in general.  The best Foscam deal I found was about $75 shipped, which isn't bad, but is of course not $50 !

NOTE- this selections are not H.264, so you're gonna give up some  image quality in return for your savings.
Happy shopping!



No comments:

Post a Comment